This paper attempts to provide a brief overview of different kinds of frauds and scams in cyberspace and its preventive measures.
Keywords: Cyber scams and frauds, Netflix scam, Canceled Netflix Account Scam, Fake crypto currency exchanges
Fraud is when trickery is used to gain a dishonest advantage, which is often financial, over another person. Cybercrime is any criminal act dealing with computers and networks. Most, but not all, cybercrime is committed by cybercriminals or hackers who want to make money. Cybercrime is carried out by individuals or organizations
Every morning our eyes gets stuck reading this news which says:
Karnataka cybercrime sleuths bust Rs 290 Crore money laundering scam, 9 accused held.
MHA-led team busts “fraud-to-phone” racket running across 18 states; 8 arrested, 350 suspects under scanner, talents from top Chinese universities arrested for cyber scams, Gurugram police train over 5,800 students to raise cyber security awareness. Odisha kendrapada doctor loses over Rs 10 lakh to cyber frauds, Cybercrime police crack online fraud case in 3 hours.
With increasing internet coverage and cheaper data, more and more people access the internet even while moving. Most of the common people are not aware of the risks involved while dealing with the internet. The latter does not denote criminality, and it is this broader definition that people used to distinguish between scams and frauds. Fraud is a serious crime or a wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain. It involves the violation of civil law.
How to recognize scams in cyberspace?
Common sense is not so common. People should be more cautious while somebody is demanding to know the personal information. Most of the scams and frauds are the ultimate results of sharing personal information.
These are as follows:
- The platform which asks for giving personal details
- The medium by which the personal information is shared
Internet fraud is a type of cybercrime fraud or deception which makes use of the Internet and could involve hiding of information or providing incorrect information for the purpose of tricking victims out of money, property, and inheritance. Internet fraud is not considered a single, distinctive crime but covers a range of illegal and illicit actions that are committed in Cyberspace.
Now let us discuss the types of cyber scams and fraud which is most popular these days.
Types of cyber scams and frauds
Below mentioned are the usual types of scams and frauds in cyberspace.
- Fake shopping website
- Lottery scams and The Nigerian Prince Prize Scam
- Job Offer Scam
- Money Scam
- Work from home scam
- SMS Scam
- Charity Scam
- Online Shopping Scam
- Tech Support Scam
- Dos and DDoS attack
- Social Networking Scam
- Bank Vishing Scam
- Dating or romance Scam
- Free of Discounted Vacation
- Fake Cryptocurrency exchanges
- Ransomware attacks
The following ways are major source of cyber fraud or scams
- Phone call
- Text Message
Let us discuss few Safety Measures to prevent Cyber Scams and Fraud
- Cyber awareness
- Aware about all kinds of cyber scams
- Keep software and operating system updated
- Use anti-virus software and keep it updated
- Never open attachments in spam emails
- Be cautions in dealing with and sharing personal Information
- Frequent review of privacy and security settings
- Change password in every 3 months
- Strong password recommended using all symbols and characters
- Do not use same password in multiple platforms
- Be suspicious of calls and emails
- Use an Email verification service
- Use two/ three verification system
- Use Logic in handling Information
- Do not use free Wi-Fi Services
- Use secure Wi-Fi connections
- Be cautious about the website (Check the URL) that to be visited
- Do not make random payment – Online payment
- Think before sharing pictures, Information and using webcams
- Don’t send money to someone whom you have never met face-to-face.
- Do not open suspicious texts, pop-up windows, or open attachments in an unsolicited email.
- Don’t believe everything you see in virtual space.
- Don’t buy online unless the transaction is secure.
- Do not share personally identifiable information.
- Don’t be pressured to act immediately.
- Don’t install anything from an unknown source.
- Don’t act based on instincts.
The intervention of cyberspace has geared the speed of fooling people and their lives so much. Since scams and fraud are so well organized and convincing and people behind them so difficult to catch, we need always to keep our guard up.
Datta, Dhriti(. “18 Scams to watch out for in 2019.” digit 5 June 2019: 61-63.
Saluja, Samridha, et al. “Cyber Safety Education in High Schools, 14 Feb. 2018,
Dueep J. Singh, John Davidson. Introduction to Internet Scams and Fraud – Credit Card Theft, Work-At-Home Scams, and Lottery Scams. Canada: Mendon Cottage Book,JD Biz Publishing, 2014.